Pit that I've been building

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Pit that I've been building

Postby Grabber70Mach » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Been working on this pit for a while, hope it does the job when it gets finished,

Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Re: Pit that I've been building

Postby Grabber70Mach » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 pm

This is where I am currently.

Fire box

snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Good looking pit, kind of unique, would like to see it finished, I see your a Ford Guy, I,ve been at a Ford dealer in north texas for 33 years as a diesel tech
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Are you planning on that small firebox, with heat flowing thru that 4 inch pipe between th chambers???....I don't see how that going to heat and be even feeding such a large cooker.....please explain....

I really am interested in seeing this finished...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Are you planning on that small firebox, with heat flowing thru that 4 inch pipe between th chambers???....I don't see how that going to heat and be even feeding such a large cooker.....please explain....

I think that is a warmer box there is a large firebox on the other end :dont:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:09 am

BluDawg wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Are you planning on that small firebox, with heat flowing thru that 4 inch pipe between th chambers???....I don't see how that going to heat and be even feeding such a large cooker.....please explain....

I think that is a warmer box there is a large firebox on the other end :dont:

It is indeed a unique and interesting approach. I'm with 3 star redneck and BluDawg as to what is cooking / heating what. The tongue end box is?
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:54 am

The silver box is a SS warming box.
The rusty box is an old firebrick lined wood stove. It is connected by the 6" pipe, if needed I plan on installing a baffle plate on the inside to help disperse the heat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 am

The rusty old box is definitely a cool item, i like off the norm builds. FWIW tho...the rule of thumb for FB to cooker ratio is 1/3. I mention this merely as a basic in the chance you have troubleshooting later in the build. As you mentioned, "I hope it works" There are some other tidbits of advice to make it run well should you need them. Meanwhile, carry on and enjoy, it looks like fun. :)
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 am

I'm definitely open to suggestions to improve it. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:25 am

Grabber70Mach wrote:I'm definitely open to suggestions to improve it. Thanks

Certainly no know it all here and while I try not to mess much with a mans build, if he's got a good thing going and I can save him a few been there done that pains, well...here goes...somewhat briefly:
as noted, the firebox looks to be about 1/5 to cooker ratio where 1/3 is a usual norm, some prefer it even larger.It may, probably can, work but for sure it will be chugging to fill that cooker which will consume quite a bit more fuel, so fire tending will be a duty. I am not a big fan of the header fed inlets, they tend to be ready made hot spots due to the funneling effect but thats just me, many have made them work well. You will however need about 2 more just like it to go that route. It will distribute the heat more evenly and you certainly need more volume for that cooker / FB set up. On the final end, to utilize the volume, the stack looks to need about twice its current length to draw and dispose of that volume. If you pull up your actual dim's, there are several pit bulding calculators on the net or you can PM me for the one I use. Is all this necessary? You already have and are going to have a lot of fine work put into this before it is done, I can't see building one you will curse when you use it. Hope this helps. :)
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

So correct me if I'm wrong. Using the calculator for building the pit. I have determined the following.

275G drum = 63525.0 c/in

FB size recommended 21175.0 c/in
FB size at this time 10766.25 c/in
50.8% too small

Should I go ahead and redo it now to save me some head aches?
If so I thought of making the FB
27Hx28Wx28L = 21168 c/in
Chimney is 5" and I would need to extend it some to meet the requirement of 54".
FB air intake shows I need 2.25 if I use 6" round pipe. Would 2 of these be enough? FB to cook Chamber would be 16"x10" according to the calculations.

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Last edited by Grabber70Mach on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Pretty Kewl Smoker, Where Ya From?
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm

DJ wrote:Pretty Kewl Smoker, Where Ya From?
dj

Thanks, Maryland
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:49 am

Grabber70Mach...while I hate to see the nice looking wood stove FB you currently have on there go, the headaches I am afraid will happen. Consider doing away with the pipe / header transfer approach if you go this route, they are usually reserved for under the cooker DP clone type builds and you will be pretty much consuming the bottom half with piping using that style. It can be done tho if this is the style you prefer. The 16" x 10" FB to cook chamber inlet i would change to something more elongated as the 10" height will put your heat entering right under the cooking grate. A wider one in the area of 30" x 6" 'ish will lower that and more uniformly distribute the heat. The FB size you proposed looks to be about right tho you may want to go longer or wider and shorten the height if the available steel allows. Being a trailer rig, FB ground clearance is a concern and preferably the top of the FB will be flush with the top of your FB to cook chamber inlet. I am a bit unclear as to the 6" pipe air intake for the FB. For the chimney / smokestack, i would go with a larger diameter rather than extending the current one. 54" is going to be fairly high up there and the weight, being that it is part of the door if i see it correctly, is going to be quite heavy. A 7" or 6" would reduce both and obtain the draw required. This may seem like quite a bit of change but mostly it is a different approach. As mentioned previously, I hate to mess with a mans plans but... I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me. Good luck.
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Finally started on a new FB for the smoker.

It will end up being 36.5" x 30" x 19.25"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”