Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

alexis
Pilgrim

Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

Postby alexis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 am

Hi, I am new to the smoking business. Which smoker should I buy and which one would be the best Quality/cost?

I've read online about different smoker type : charcoal, gaz, electric, digital.. and I am not sure which one should be the best for a noob like me.

Thank you In advance for your advices

Alexis
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm sure the ranch hands will be along soon but in the mean time...it depends on you.
How much you have to spend is probably first in line, followed by what you are trying to cook, for instance would you like to mimic Franklins BBQ?
If so you need something that burns oak wood, or maybe a pellet pooper if you don't want to tend fires all day...(I like to tend fires and drink canned beer!).
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:39 pm

If you're kinda handy and like the set it and forget it cooker you can build a UDS (Drum smoker) for under 100.00 then if you find you do not really like smoking meat you are not into it for much.
If you do not want to build one and you have about 300.00/ 400.00 you can buy a Weber smokey mountain and be cooking the same day you put it together.
Then there are the offset smokers or stick burners that require tending the fire but in order to get something you will not have to fight you will spend upwards to 1000.00 for a middle of the road back yard model.
It would help if we knew your lifestyle as far as cooking goes. Do you like ease or wanna be one on one with the cooker?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I'd say start with a UDS. Google the term or Ugly Drum Smoker and you'll find lots of photos and ways to build one. They are very versatile. You can cook a steak, grill burgers or smoke ribs or a brisket on one. And they don't cost a lot to build. If you're not handy you can buy them for around $300.
alexis
Pilgrim

Postby alexis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

I've read a lot on the USD, and it seems like the easiest way to start. I sure want to smoke pork, brisket, steaks, turkey...

I've read many good reviews about the Pit Barrel ( http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/)

What are your thoughts?

thanks for your replies guys
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:42 am

That is a Ugly Drum Smoker... uds
a lot of the cooks on here have them, my problem is I don't have one and wish I did for price and convenience, but I have a lot of the others
I have two pellet cookers, they do a good job for a set and forget it type of cooking, $$ to $$$$$

I have a webber gas grill, does just ok in my opinion really do not use it much because we like the wood flavor, and I have unsuccessfully tried using wood pellets and chunks for added smoke flavor, it just kind of ok, great start up quick, and easy shutdown $$

Webber charcoal grill great for burgers, chicken, steaks and the like throw in a couple chunks of seasoned wood the size of a base ball and great wood smoke flavor...$

Cookshack Small electric smoker, great convenience wood chunks for smoke, easy to over smoke the food, very moist cooker the meat never dries out, all I had for smoking for a while, the worst part to me is the chicken skin will never crisp up, it does not get hot enough $ to $$$

It mostly comes down to what and how you want to cook and the amount of money you want to put into it; as others before me have said. If you tell us what you want to cook and how mostly there are a lot of great cooks on here that can make great recommendations for you 8)
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 am

We do most of what we do on a Weber kettle, a gas rig (love it for beer can chicken) and an ECB.
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Alexis,

As everyone here mentioned it would all depend on what you want to cook and how much $ you are thinking of spending. You really can't go wrong with any of these cookers mentioned. I was in the same boat that you are in now about a year ago and took a chance on the ( Akorn ) made by CharGriller.
It cost me about 269.00 $ from Lowes, another 30.00 $ for the cover ( which is made very well ) and another 30.00 $ for the Acorn brand ( smoking/pizza ) combo stone which we had to order from Home Depot.
For about 330.00$ We were hooked up and absolutely love everything about it.
We have probably used it 50 times so far and it looks brand new.
You can smoke at 230/250 and go up to 700 for searing steaks. 500 degrees using the stone on the ( top ) grate will give you the best pizza you will ever have...

Best of all, using lump charcoal and good wood chunks you will get absolutely great smoked flavor.

Hopefully you can find what fits you best and be smoking out the neighborhood soon as summer is around the corner :) :)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:16 am

Chasdev wrote:I'm sure the ranch hands will be along soon but in the mean time...it depends on you.
How much you have to spend is probably first in line, followed by what you are trying to cook, for instance would you like to mimic Franklins BBQ?
If so you need something that burns oak wood, or maybe a pellet pooper if you don't want to tend fires all day...(I like to tend fires and drink canned beer!).

Lol !!

The most important part of this are the LAST 4 words...

Lol, I'm in with ya
udrandman
Pilgrim

Postby udrandman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:57 pm

alexis wrote:I've read a lot on the USD, and it seems like the easiest way to start. I sure want to smoke pork, brisket, steaks, turkey...

I've read many good reviews about the Pit Barrel ( http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/)

What are your thoughts?

I agree with the UDS. I built one earlier this year (not an overly handy person) for about $150 total, including a new drum as a starting point, and cannot recommend it highly enough. Did a 17.5 hour cook on a large pork butt last weekend and once it was on I didn't open it until 17.5 hours later. Only had to adjust the intakes once.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:04 pm

I'd jump right in with a WSM. They are relatively easy to learn to use, and you'll even see them on the competition circuit. They cook good food.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

If I had to have just one Cooker that will do it all that with ease> Weber 26" kettle is all you need.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:14 am

alexis wrote:I've read a lot on the USD, and it seems like the easiest way to start. I sure want to smoke pork, brisket, steaks, turkey...

What are your thoughts?

I've never cooked on a Pit Barrell cooker but I've seen them in numerous videos. For me it looks like you would be more limited with a Pit Barrell as you would not be able to grill with it. Also I don't know how you can get a brisket, pork shoulder, etc. fall apart tender and still have the meat holding on the meat hooks. :dont:
JJJONZ
Pilgrim

Postby JJJONZ » Mon May 02, 2016 10:05 pm

I have had a PBC for over a year and it will smoke and grill some of the best q you have ever put in your mouth. Take it from someone that has been qing for over 50 years $ 299 well spent.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:05 pm

What are your thoughts?

Just do it! Pitbarrel cookers are as set and forget as you can get. I've had one for over a year and I haven't been able to find BBQ I like better and I have been eating BBQ over 50 years. :lol:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”