Extra Thick Bacon

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Extra Thick Bacon

Postby 'BoutTime » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 pm

I have seen bacon at Costco cut at least a half inch thick, and always wondered how it could be cooked. Naturally, I thought about smoking or grilling it, seeing an advantage either way. Would slow smoking be enough? Or maybe make bacon candy?
Anyone ever tried it? Any suggestions?
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
:texas:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Extra Thick Bacon

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

The Bacon Candy sounds perfect to me or Burnt Ends from Bacon. It also allows you to do a small batch instead of dealing with an entire Pork Belly. Think I"ll get my Neighbor to pick up some for us since we don't ever go there. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:19 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:The Bacon Candy sounds perfect to me or Burnt Ends from Bacon. It also allows you to do a small batch instead of dealing with an entire Pork Belly. Think I"ll get my Neighbor to pick up some for us since we don't ever go there. :salut:

So, whaddaya think - low and slow, or hotter and quicker?
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 pm

'BoutTime wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:The Bacon Candy sounds perfect to me or Burnt Ends from Bacon. It also allows you to do a small batch instead of dealing with an entire Pork Belly. Think I"ll get my Neighbor to pick up some for us since we don't ever go there. :salut:

So, whaddaya think - low and slow, or hotter and quicker?
Just my preference, but I've done extra thick Bacon like this on a sheet of foil, in a roasting pan about 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Lay a knife FLAT between the grate and the bottom front of the roasting pan so the roasting pan has a slight tilt to it so your bacon doesn't sit in the grease. Just make sure your roasting pan is fairly deep so the grease doesn't spill over and catch your oven on fire...
After about 15-20 I brush with a Dark Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup mix and turn up to 400 for another 5 minutes.

I've done this on the smoker years ago and I didnt like it as much, wasn't as moist.

Good luck with your cook however you decide

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:02 am

'BoutTime wrote: So, whaddaya think - low and slow, or hotter and quicker?

WoodenVisions Recipe above sounds good but I think I'd do them Low and Slow - - - Why not Google Pork Belly Burnt Ends and take a look at some recipes to get you a Game Plan and then go for it. Good Luck and let us know if you do this :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 am

That extra thick cut is >.50” thick. I’ve cut some of mine .25” and it takes 20-23 minutes to bake it right. I have to go with Woodie on this one. I use one of my wife’s cookie tray cooking racks to bake the bacon on and it works great. I might have to buy some just to try it.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm

I found them at Costco earlier today, and realized they are sold as pork belly instead of bacon. So I'll check on pork belly recipes. But I didn't get them because I am unsure of the weather this week. I will have to go back later this week to pick up a repaired hearing aid, so maybe the weather will be more favorable then.
What I have in mind now is to smoke them on the upper rack, and let the fat drip off and onto the racks of ribs below to give them an extra kick. Worth a shot.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:12 pm

"Bacon Basted Baby Backs"
I like it :wav: :tup: :salut:
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 pm

I smoked some strips of pork belly that I picked up at either Sam's or Walmart. I rubbed and smoked at 250 along with some ribs and ABTs I was already going to do. Then just cut into cubes. Turned out really good. I also hit them with a glaze before they came off the smoker.

WeldonImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 am

Well, the race is on, so we will see how it goes.
Attachments
2-15-20 Prep.jpg
2-15-20 Start.jpg
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 am

Betcha this is gonna be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Been going for 3 hours on "Smoke", but pork belly is not dripping. Not hot enough, I guess.
Kicked it up to 200° for 2 hours as planned, so we will see what happens now. Will wrap for the final hour.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:51 pm

'BoutTime wrote:Well, the race is on, so we will see how it goes.
Wow, that's what I'm talking about! Can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Lookin' better.
Attachments
2-15-20 Midway.jpg
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Not exactly a failure, but not a success, either. But I learned a lot.
1. Pork Belly is NOT bacon. It is not cured. I guess you can get cured pork belly, but the only real taste from this was the smoke, and the glaze I put on the strips at the end. And it actually came out purddy durn good, although I doubt I will ever do them again. And while there were some drippings that got on the ribs, it wasn't enough to make much, if any difference.
2. The ribs didn't come out as well as they usually do. I blame that on altering my normal cooking temps and times to allow for the pork belly.
3. Another experiment was using different glazes. I cut a rib off each slab for my wife, and although she could taste a slight difference, she couldn't identify any of them. I will stick with my no glaze method, and using just salt and pepper for the rub.
If any of you try this on your own, I'd like to know how it came out. Actually, I think my idea might have worked using regular, thick sliced bacon. Since Costco sells ribs in a three-pack, I cook three racks at a time, and cut and freeze them in smaller slabs. So maybe I will position the bacon over a single rack to see how it does.
Attachments
Pork Belly.jpg
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”