Hey y'all new to the fourm. Hope I can learn a few things. I do have a question.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Booner4me
Pilgrim

Hey y'all new to the fourm. Hope I can learn a few things. I do have a question.

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 am

I've been cooking briskets on my Kamado Big Joe for years now and they always come out great.
However yesterday day it was dry and tough. Cooked at 225-250 . I always let it go until 190 then I start to prob for tenderness and pull when done, usually around 200-205 never really pay attention to temp after 190.
Yesterday it never really probed tender and I finally pull and wrapped and let it rest when it hit 205.
They only thing I did different is that the brisket had been frozen and thawed out, there was a lot of blood in the bag after it had thawed , and I cooked this one fat side down.
Any Idea what happened?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hey y'all new to the fourm. Hope I can learn a few things. I do have a question.

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D
What grade was the brisket? Did you wrap or pan?
If it was a low end choice or select chances are the marbling just wasn't there for a low and slow cook. I probe mine at 205° and usually end up pulling at around 210° but I cook 275° to 325°. On low end briskets the quicker you can get them done the better.
I usually pan mine with a cup of beef broth when it hits 165° and foil cover to finish unless I am using butcher paper. If I am using paper I cook 300° to 350° always cap down.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Re: Hey y'all new to the fourm. Hope I can learn a few things. I do have a question.

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Welcome to the forum. :D
What grade was the brisket? Did you wrap or pan?
If it was a low end choice or select chances are the marbling just wasn't there for a low and slow cook. I probe mine at 205° and usually end up pulling at around 210° but I cook 275° to 325°. On low end briskets the quicker you can get them done the better.
I usually pan mine with a cup of beef broth when it hits 165° and foil cover to finish unless I am using butcher paper. If I am using paper I cook 300° to 350° always cap down.
It was a packer brisket from Walmart. Since I started using the Big Joe I haven't wrapped or use a water pan and they always come out tender and juicy.

Last edited by Booner4me on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Last edited by Booner4me on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Last edited by Booner4me on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Last edited by Booner4me on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Sorry didn't think it was posting

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Being a Wally World packer it was, as k.a.m. mentioned, probably was low grade choice at best and most likely select. Just my personal opinion, the better the grade the better the end product. Some on here will say grade isn’t all that if you know what you’re doing. Maybe not but I grew up raising cattle. The grade is a deciding factor for me.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Booner4me
Pilgrim

Postby Booner4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:39 pm

GTR wrote:Being a Wally World packer it was, as k.a.m. mentioned, probably was low grade choice at best and most likely select. Just my personal opinion, the better the grade the better the end product. Some on here will say grade isn’t all that if you know what you’re doing. Maybe not but I grew up raising cattle. The grade is a deciding factor for me.
Maybe it was just a bad cut of beef.
It really upset me this time because I was cooking for my nephews going into the Navy party

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Booner4me wrote:
GTR wrote:Being a Wally World packer it was, as k.a.m. mentioned, probably was low grade choice at best and most likely select. Just my personal opinion, the better the grade the better the end product. Some on here will say grade isn’t all that if you know what you’re doing. Maybe not but I grew up raising cattle. The grade is a deciding factor for me.
Maybe it was just a bad cut of beef.
It really upset me this time because I was cooking for my nephews going into the Navy party

Please tell your nephew Thank you for his Service.
Lesson learned when cooking for a special event shoot for upper choice or better even prime. i have had to order choices and primes for events when I am putting my name on them.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”