Hunkering Down Winter Weather

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Hunkering Down Winter Weather

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:49 am

Joe and Sailor will laugh but we're in for a mess in Texas for the next 6 or 7 days. Rain that freezes on the roadways and falling limbs that break and down power lines. I have so much here with the Well Pump, Pool Pump, and lots of outside pipes. Not to mention 2 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 horses. They're saying we will be under the freezing mark from Saturday through next Wednesday with the possible high on a couple of those days being just above freezing and the lows from 21 down to 12 . We're just not set up for it..

I've also got Lettuce and Onions in my 4x8 grow boxes that I'm going to cover with a tarp and cross my fingers. I have Carrots, Green Beans, and English Peas up in the real garden and covered them with about a quarter of an inch of dirt this morning, don't know if they'll make it.

2 portable generators fueled and ready to go and about a half a cord of firewood on the covered patio for the fireplace with a 5 gallon bucket of split Rich Lighter Pine.

We're going to make a big pot of Stew Saturday and some Chili Monday, with Cornbread of course.

Everyone stay safe and warm.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Hunkering Down Winter Weather

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am

Yup... gonna be a cold one for sure. I have one more hose bib faucet cover to put on and need to drain the washing machine supply lines that run in the attic. Both generators were serviced (fresh oil and cleaning) after the last episode. Ten gallons of fresh gasoline round out that aspect. I do hope the tree trimming they performed last time will be enough but they (Oncor) always seem to do a patch job on just the current (no pun intended) trouble spot rather than service the entire grid run. I hate cold weather.... :banghead:

Shrimp Boil slated for Valentines Day... rounding up the fixin's now. :chef: :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 pm

12 Fahrenheit is pretty cold. We consider that a cold day even if we usually hover around that in January and February.

Hope you're doing well. I don't laugh. Being used to cold weather I know how bad it can be. Cold weather and especially below freezing point is no joke if it's not planned for or infrastructure is built for it.

Especially rain on undercooled roads is dangerous. Be careful. Hope you keep the power.

I drove the youngest kid to school today. Was minus 6 Fahrenheit when I dropped him off. That is a little colder than normal but it doesn't cause any issues.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:35 pm

I was hoping we'd miss one this year but our ?people? are predicting Monday to be the Booger with high of 27 and low of 12, high 40s prior to that. Don't think I'll 3-2-1 those St Louis until maybe week after next. :whiteflag:

I have one outside faucet and it's insulated so I'll probably do an inside drip on the night's of the 20s just in case.

Sherry has a Doc's appt on Monday but I doubt that they will be open so I'm expecting them to call and move it. :whiteflag:

Good Luck up there in the Piney Woods of East Texas, Pal :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:19 pm

We aren't any better in North Texas. Monday forecast, high 14* and a low of 1*. It's been a while since we've seen these type temps. On the bright side it should eliminate a lot of annoying insects.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Here we have a forecast of 6°F Monday night.
I have little electric heaters in my greenhouses (tent type) but I suspect they won't be enough, maybe I'll fire up Coleman lanterns in there as well.
My generators haven't been started in years so I better check them out.
Since our home is all electric we are vulnerable to power outages.
I can hook up a car battery/inverter to keep our pellet fueled fireplace going until a generator starts.
Texas just ain't naturally equipped for real winters.

Came from Nebraska where we experienced -20 to -40°F winters and other than the diesel car did fine. All utilities there were underground.
tarde venientibus ossa....
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 pm

Rambo wrote:Joe and Sailor will laugh but we're in for a mess in Texas for the next 6 or 7 days. Rain that freezes on the roadways and falling limbs that break and down power lines. I have so much here with the Well Pump, Pool Pump, and lots of outside pipes. Not to mention 2 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 horses. They're saying we will be under the freezing mark from Saturday through next Wednesday with the possible high on a couple of those days being just above freezing and the lows from 21 down to 12 . We're just not set up for it..

I've also got Lettuce and Onions in my 4x8 grow boxes that I'm going to cover with a tarp and cross my fingers. I have Carrots, Green Beans, and English Peas up in the real garden and covered them with about a quarter of an inch of dirt this morning, don't know if they'll make it.

2 portable generators fueled and ready to go and about a half a cord of firewood on the covered patio for the fireplace with a 5 gallon bucket of split Rich Lighter Pine.

We're going to make a big pot of Stew Saturday and some Chili Monday, with Cornbread of course.

Everyone stay safe and warm.

Not laughing at all. This sort of weather wreaks havoc wherever you are. Hope everything turns out okay.
Moink!
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm

We are also supposed to get hammered. They are forecasting 10"- 15" of snow on Sunday into Monday for central Oklahoma.
That's storm #2. Storm 1 is supposed to arrive on Saturday, but with just a trace to 1". We have not been above freezing since
last weekend, so they say it will be a "fluffy" snow which will pile up fast, and expect some roads to be impassable with "ground blizzards" (?!)
Lows will be down to around -8 degrees by Monday, possible wind chills of -25 to -30. If this pans out, it will be a major event for us.

With that said, some of our local meteorologists get very excited and maybe a little carried away with their predictions. :lol:
We just try to prepare for the worst and hope they have "over" forecast again. :dont:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Tragedy in Fort Worth, TX..... Unthinkable. Warning - video is tough to watch.

https://youtu.be/510IDqQBG0M
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pm

I think we are to blame. There is a weather phenomenon that's called an anticyclone above southern Norway and the Atlantic that rotates clockwise. It's pumping cold air to Europe and North America.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Tragedy in Fort Worth, TX..... Unthinkable. Warning - video is tough to watch.

https://youtu.be/510IDqQBG0M
That's horrible. Frozen rain on the road?

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Yup.... Black Ice is what we call it.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm

OkieGal wrote:

With that said, some of our local meteorologists get very excited and maybe a little carried away with their predictions. :lol:
We just try to prepare for the worst and hope they have "over" forecast again. :dont:

We got one of those guys here as well. Starts off in a suit and tie. Then he breaks in for an "update". His jacket is off. Next break tie is untied. Next tie is gone. Sleeves rolled up. 2 buttons undone on his dress shirt. So the worse he "predicts" the more casual his dress becomes. Told the wife this morning by Monday afternoon he'll be doing the weather report completely nude.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:00 pm

That deal in FW was terrible.

Our schools were closed today. They already had Friday and Monday scheduled off so at least they won’t miss those days. But if it snows Monday it’s gonna be around a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:16 pm

That probably won't up their Ratings :?: :?: :laughing7: :lol: :D

YOUR INDULGENCE PLEASE:

Back in the Sixties around this time of year, me and my Roping Hoss had joined the Wagon Group of a Friend of mine in Cleveland, Texas. We spent 5 nights camping out and during the daytime we Wagon Trained into Houston. This was back in the Houston Livestock Show Days when all of the Trail Riders gathered at Memorial Park the night before the Big Parade Downtown Houston. Well, a big old Norther blew in that night and they cancelled the Parade. Our Wagon Boss, Don Howell, said that we'd better stay the night instead of loading up and taking everything home at dark, so we did just that.

We slept in and let the sun come up and everyone started moving around and getting ready. I walked over to my Horse with a brush to brush his back and there was a sheet of ice on his back. I actually reached over and broke the ice across his withers and then slid the ice off of him like the shell on a Crawfish. :laughing7: Every thing went well until we tried to load up Don's Mom's little mare. We didn't realize that the trailer floor had iced over and when she jumped up into the trailer she went down flat of her back. Well we drug her out and calmed her down and then started to load her up again and she wasn't having anything to do with the inside of that trailer any more. :roll: :shock: :dont: So we got the Crew and Ropes and gathered around and Physically Put her in the Trailer. Fortunately we still had lots of Hay and it really helped putting on those trailer floors -- - - more to defrost than for traction.

Don wanted me to drive his truck and trailer that had the Wagon on it and at one RR Crossing when I had to put on the brakes pretty firmly, the Wagon broke loose and in the rear view mirror I could see it coming to the bed of the truck. The 2 front wheels ended up in the bed of the truck but nothing broke and he and I had no problem wiggling and rolling it back onto the trailer. This time we tied it down much better. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”