Power outage

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Power outage

Postby egghead » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Power has been out here almost 20 hours. If you lose power for this long and have ice cream in your freezer and you decide to take it out, be careful and use two hands because it’s kind of mushy. If you use one hand the container may crush in your hand and you may drop it causing a big mess on your kitchen floor. :shock: You will likely say bad words and need to go to confession or something similar. Cleaning up a mess with flashlights and slow running water is a humbling experience.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Power outage

Postby GRailsback » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 am

I’m without power as well, but not worried about anything thawing out. I’ll just throw it out the back door for the night.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:52 am

I can feel Y'alls pain. We have not lost any power so far and I don't take that Blessing Lightly at all.
"Praise God From Whom ALL BLESSINGS FLOW"
I need to run get a few things but I'm not sure that is wise :scratch: :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm

Hang in there guys. Egg - hopefully that lesson you learned is not one you will need very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm

We’ve been out since yesterday at 02:00. They’re doing rolling blackouts. I getting 30 minutes of power every 4-5 hours. Inside temp hanging at 48*. 3 water outlets and hot water heater frozen. Luckily, if there is such a thing, we have two heaters. The frozen one is kitchen, powder room and laundry. Pool equipment is toast, can’t wait for that bill. But we’re alive and not ready to become widowers just yet.
Hand in there my fellow Texans, we got this. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm

GTR wrote:We’ve been out since yesterday at 02:00. They’re doing rolling blackouts. I getting 30 minutes of power every 4-5 hours. Inside temp hanging at 48*. 3 water outlets and hot water heater frozen. Luckily, if there is such a thing, we have two heaters. The frozen one is kitchen, powder room and laundry. Pool equipment is toast, can’t wait for that bill. But we’re alive and not ready to become widowers just yet.
This is a disaster. Inside temp 48 is no joke. Hope you get through this.

If it's to any help: body looses most heat from the head, neck, wrists and ankles. If you can wrap some warm clothes (preferably wool) around these areas it will help. If you have wool, wear that as the innermost layer. Cotton is bad.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm

GTR wrote:We’ve been out since yesterday at 02:00. They’re doing rolling blackouts. I getting 30 minutes of power every 4-5 hours. Inside temp hanging at 48*. 3 water outlets and hot water heater frozen. Luckily, if there is such a thing, we have two heaters. The frozen one is kitchen, powder room and laundry. Pool equipment is toast, can’t wait for that bill. But we’re alive and not ready to become widowers just yet.

:shock: Holy cow! When mine got to 59 yesterday, that was unpleasant - I can't imagine 48.
Are you getting 30 min every 4-5 hours as a result of the planned blackouts? I thought they were only going to be for 1 or 2 hours at a time.
I hope they get you back up soon. I hope your pool will be okay, but mainly concerned about your family and pets.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm

Norway Joe wrote:
This is a disaster. Inside temp 48 is no joke. Hope you get through this.

If it's to any help: body looses most heat from the head, neck, wrists and ankles. If you can wrap some warm clothes (preferably wool) around these areas it will help. If you have wool, wear that as the innermost layer. Cotton is bad.

You can bet my best wool cap has been on my head for 36 hours straight.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:39 pm

OkieGal wrote:

:shock: Holy cow! When mine got to 59 yesterday, that was unpleasant - I can't imagine 48.
Are you getting 30 min every 4-5 hours as a result of the planned blackouts? I thought they were only going to be for 1 or 2 hours at a time.
I hope they get you back up soon. I hope your pool will be okay, but mainly concerned about your family and pets.

Yes, 30 minutes every 4-5 hours which later became 5-6 hours. You are correct it was to be every 1-2 hours. Don’t know what happened to the plan. I’ve been told by electrical workers we are on the OG grid out here. We are back up for another grid but we have no back up for us.
Only pets are 2 indoor cats. The short hair is under a blanket with the wife. The other is half Maine Coon so these temps are right up his alley.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Good idea. If you haven't already done it. Try to wrap wool around your neck, handwrists and ankles too.

I hope the situation improves soon.

Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Norway Joe wrote:Good idea. If you haven't already done it. Try to wrap wool around your neck, handwrists and ankles too.

I hope the situation improves soon.

Wife got us gaiters, fancy name for neck wear that we use for mask. No outdoor protection at this point but good to pull up and keep somewhat warm indoors.
Fireplace is raging so there is good heat, just not enough for the entire house.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Well by the grace of the Man upstairs, we’ve had power for the last 45 minutes. House temp at 57* and climbing. Not out of the woods yet but can relax a minute or two.
We have both agreed come Monday we will be getting a generator that will power the entire house and new windows. Ours are going on 30 and really should have already been replaced. Also doesn’t help our 6 north facing windows are leaded glass, so NO insulation.
Keeping the faith, this like all things will pass. :texas:
Ray Wylie Hubbard
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:28 pm

That's good to hear! Hopefully it is the beginning of a better situation.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Good to hear Gtr :salut:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 pm

GTR wrote:Well by the grace of the Man upstairs, we’ve had power for the last 45 minutes. House temp at 57* and climbing. Not out of the woods yet but can relax a minute or two.
We have both agreed come Monday we will be getting a generator that will power the entire house and new windows. Ours are going on 30 and really should have already been replaced. Also doesn’t help our 6 north facing windows are leaded glass, so NO insulation.
Keeping the faith, this like all things will pass. :texas:

You may want to wait a little bit on the whole house generator. There will be a big run on them and probably put the price through the roof. But you can get the gas company lined up to come out and upgrade your gas meter.

If I don’t have power back by morning I will go get the motorhome out of storage and bring it home and start running the ice boxes off the generator.

But we will also be putting in a whole house generator. Had I been out of town this would have been difficult on the warden.
Last edited by GRailsback on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”