Boards, Cutlery, and Utensils

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Boards, Cutlery, and Utensils

Postby super8mm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Ok, I an not sure where this fits in General Discussion but here goes some more questions.

What do folks like to use for cutting board, wood or plastic, any styles?

Are they any sort of Utensils you like to keep around while creating your art?

What sort of cutlery do folks use and for what?

should I have broken up these items to one question to a post?

215° is great :D
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Well as for cutlery I just use what I have in the drawer and if it ain't sharp enough I sharpen it. Now there are a lot of opinions on this and you will probably hear them all. I have used knives professionally (in leather work) and found the best compromise is a medium grade knife that sharpens easily and holds the edge fairly well.
As for cutting boards my favorite is the thin UHMW PE or HDPE (plastic) boards that can be trimmed to size and fit in a cookie sheet to control the mess. I like wood too but the plastic is a lot handier.
As far as other utensils whatever comes in handy for instance I don't throw away shaker bottles. I buy those roaster pans with the rack in them and turn the rack upside down for a rib rack. The pans are used for wrapping so I make sure they will fit in the ice chest.
Hope this helps ya.
tarde venientibus ossa....
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks Papa Tom that is good information. I had not thought about fixing up a cutting board to fit something like a cake pan so those good juices don’t get to far away.

I attempted to slice on a paper plate some brisket on a that I had smoked and froze but the slices did not come out to even :lol: reckon I need more practice?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Try an electric knife. I don't use one too often but they do make it easier to get uniform slices. Seems like every garage sale has one.
tarde venientibus ossa....
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:19 pm

cool, I will keep my eyes out for a electric knife then
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 pm

I use plastic for cutin boards, beacuse I am lazy and they go into the dishwasher well.! 8)

Knives, I have some Forschner, and Henckels and am not the best at sharpening, but I try to steeel each before use, and I use a Chef Choice for sharpening.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:47 am

super8mm wrote:Thanks Papa Tom that is good information. I had not thought about fixing up a cutting board to fit something like a cake pan so those good juices don’t get to far away.

I attempted to slice on a paper plate some brisket on a that I had smoked and froze but the slices did not come out to even :lol: reckon I need more practice?

You need a slicer. Shop right, they're about a C note.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:12 am

I have both types of cutting boards, but I do prefer wood boards. A good end grain board is easier on the blades of your cutlery. Plus, I like the heavier boards for chopping meats.

I have a set of Wusthof, a couple J.A. Henckels, and a couple Forestners.
Best advise is don't just go by brand, by the best you can afford, go to a store and handle the different brands and styles of knives. Buy what feels the best to you when you handle the actual knife. A chef knife or a slicer made by one company may not feel as good in your hand as one from another company ( handle style, weight, and balance all play a big part ). Always try to hold an actual knife before buying.

A good thin, sharp slicing knife will help your slicing skills greatly. A chefs or cooks knife is made for cutting and not really made for slicing. And practice helps. :D

As for as utensils, I try to use what works for me. You'll find what works for you with time and your cooking style. I'm like PT I try to by and use things for a purpose.

JMHO--YMMV
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 am

Go to the store, handle the knives. If you find one you like write down the info and then point your browser to
http://www.kitchenknives.com/
and comparison shop. You just might save a pretty penny and they ship fast.

Also, might want to take a peek at knives cooks love -selection, care, techniques, recipes by Sarah Jay. MSRP of $25, but I got it through a book club for nearly free. I've found it very informative.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 am

Here's another good site for knives and other kitchen equipment. They run some great sales. They have one going now on Wusthof knives and have special free shipping ( orders over $49 ) on anything..............

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/
Jim
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 am

bowhnter wrote:I use plastic for cutin boards, beacuse I am lazy and they go into the dishwasher well.! 8)

Knives, I have some Forschner, and Henckels and am not the best at sharpening, but I try to steeel each before use, and I use a Chef Choice for sharpening.

Mike like the idea of being able to clean he cutting board in a dishwasher.

I am not much at sharpening knives so I could try to use the steeel and then the Chef Choice to fix what i messed up :shock:
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 am

DATsBBQ wrote:You need a slicer. Shop right, they're about a C note.

Wow DAT I looked at slicers and they have a pretty wide price range, I found them from $60 to $6600 :shock:

I may have to build some more cabinet space for things :D
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for the info Jim, I can see where a heavier wood board would help in chopping, I had not thought of that as I perfer sliced but wife likes choped and as we all know if the little lady is happy everyone is happy :wink:

The knife I was using has a heavy stiff blade, guess I need to find someplace that sells better knives than Walley World or K Mart. Think they would mind if I went in with a 1/2# of brisket and took a cutting board off the shelf and used some of their knifes??? :lol: I do get the idea of holding them at counter height and see how they feel.

What about knife materials? SS, carbon, ceramic :?
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:21 pm

That looks like a good reference book to have around for how to select and use knives DAT. Probably much better than just hacking at stuff :)
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Those are some pretty good web sites with a wide varitity of cutlery. Now I need to find stores that carry some of these brands and see how they fit.

I may be able to go looking late next week as I will be off work, I have to have part of my anatomy microwaved monday :shock:

Return to “General Discussion”