Brisket On The XL BGE

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rmlowz
Pilgrim

Brisket On The XL BGE

Postby rmlowz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Hello forum friends,
I have always cooked brisket at 325 degrees smoked for 2 hours rapped in foil with beef broth for 2 hours and then taken out of the foil and cooked for another 1 hour. It is a fool proof cook for me LOL. The question is I am thinking about cooking it all night about 12 hours with no foil wrap or beef broth etc. How many of you cook brisket this long without wrapping. I plan on lowering my temperature to 225 250 for the cook if I go this way. I just got a gallon of the new Sucklebusters Comp #1 rub cant wait to try it out!

Thanks,

Rich
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Brisket On The XL BGE

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I have done briskets on the XL at 230-240 without foiling and they came out fine. Depending on size they may go as long as 14-15 hours to get to 195. I had one go a lot longer - I think it was 17 hours with no foil. I was planning on foiling at 160 the next time I do one. Put it on late at night and foil early in the morning.

Good luck with it - let us know how it turns out.

Couple pics - Briskie on XL

Last edited by egghead on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm

A 12 - 14 pounder on Einstein takes 12 - 14 hrs at 245° +/-10° to get to the buddar stage. I load up the fire box with lump, set the maverick for a high & low alarm (just in case :wink: ). Its pretty much hands free unless I foil said brisket once it gets to 165°. If I foil, only thing I'll add is a little cider or beer, and not much more that a couple of ounces at that. There will be plenty of liquid in the end. Whether to foil or not is a judgment call I make at the time. No real parameters to go, just gut instinct.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm

I normally wrap after about 6 hrs, due to the fact they wont take much more smoke after tht, and it is usually about 165 internal temp. I have done them unwrapped for the total time, but seem to get a juicer brisket from wrapping . I cook em at 225-235 for that amount of time. They normally give up the ghost from 10.5 hrs to 12 hrs, depending on size, and quality of meat.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I have to agree with Bluz,
I cook all my briskets 225-235 and wrap after 6 hours. they don't always come off at the same time. sometimes I'll have two briskets the same size and one has to stay on the pit longer!

Good luck!

Andy
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

I do similar to Bluz. I usually add a little beef stock ( or white wine ) with some rub mixed in it when I foil.
Jim
simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Postby simon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 am

here is my egg brisket cook I, did a coulpe of days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9358" target="_blank

I did like most said. Foiled @160 F, added a bit white wine a let it in the egg until it was tender (poke test).

It took approx 10 hours. Dome was always 230 F.

Another tip: cook it fat side down !

Good like, please keep us informed with pics !
Greetings

Simon
kendell
Pilgrim

Postby kendell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am

I do brisket regularly on my large, 225-250 as the others said time varies considerably. they usually torn out pretty good. I have also foiled, it seems to take a little of the crispness out of the bark, foiling does seem to produce consistantly moister meat

good luck and enjoy
kendell
rmlowz
Pilgrim

Postby rmlowz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for everybody's input. I smoked it this time for three hours at 250 and wrapped it for another three hours at 250. It came out perfect like always. One of these days I am going to try without the foil. We invited some guests over the day of and I chickened out experimenting with the guests coming over.

Thanks,

Rich
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 pm

you know the next time you cook, you can always do two at the same time. foil one and not the other. as far as having too much meat(is there such a thing?), you could always food saver the extra and freeze it for next time.
surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Postby Surfinsapo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:31 pm

I have been using oven baking bags lately and they work great... I don't have any temps to throw at you. I just go low-n-slow... Well 225ish... :3some:
ImageImage ImageImage
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

rmlowz wrote:Thanks for everybody's input. I smoked it this time for three hours at 250 and wrapped it for another three hours at 250. It came out perfect like always. One of these days I am going to try without the foil. We invited some guests over the day of and I chickened out experimenting with the guests coming over.

Thanks,

Rich

6 hours total at 250°. :shock: Must have been a little brisket.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

My thoughts, also. Six hours is pretty quick. I do smaller packers (12 -14 lbs.) and it's at least 9 hours. But, I don't have a pot, so maybe it's different.
Saw a broken BGE on an auction site I frequent. One half was broken, but it had all the other parts. Bid was $35 - thought about it, but I don't know what everything is worth on those things!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:My thoughts, also. Six hours is pretty quick. I do smaller packers (12 -14 lbs.) and it's at least 9 hours. But, I don't have a pot, so maybe it's different.
Saw a broken BGE on an auction site I frequent. One half was broken, but it had all the other parts. Bid was $35 - thought about it, but I don't know what everything is worth on those things!

Which half, top or bottom. Large BGEs retail locally for $850 - $950. I think a Primo round goes for about $900 these days. Might want to call a BGE distributor and see what a replacement would cost. For a $100 or so you might have get a nice ROI.
Deputy Dave

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”